Saturday 27 September 2014

Thing #3: It's a Utility, but Will I Use It?

This THING isn't as big a challenge to me as some others. I'm a big user of "utilities" on both my desktop at home and on my mobile device. However, I'll write here about the ones I like and maybe, I'll try a new one.

I use my mobile calculator all the time. I don't have any significant computational needs, so I just stick with the one that came with the phone.

I have a QR Reader: QR Droid Private. I've hardly ever used it, but when I did it performed well. I guess I just haven't clued in to the QR movement.

I have a weather app on my phone. I've tried many different ones. I just want to know if it's raining or not, so I probably COULD look out the window. It's great to check weather at my destination when I'm travelling and it's useful for work if we're planning something for outside.

I am a HUGE fan of Dashlane. I installed it on my home desktop computer a year or two ago. I was starting to get worried that I might forget the plethora of passwords I have online...for bills, frequently visited sites, organizational memberships, etc. I did a lot of research and chose this. Now that I have the app on my phone, I can use all the features--and most importantly--the security of Dashlane while on the move. It saves time entering passwords and keeps everything locked up tight until I need it.

Yellow Pages is a great app. I like fiddling with it. But if there's a browser on your phone, you could just bookmark Canada 411 I guess.

I'm already a Dropbox user on my desktop, but it's great to have the mobile app as well. I can access photos, music, files...from anywhere...even when there's not a computer nearby. The only problem I have with these cloud storage apps is that I never THINK to use them. It's a matter of getting into the habit and reminding myself that this is an option. If I could master that concept, I could throw my USB Flash Drive away.

No comments:

Post a Comment